Now this is a team on a (Pork) roll

I am nothing if not a creature of habit.

My day starts - at an ungodly early hour - pretty much exactly the same way every day.

I grab my handy portable radio, flip the switch on, and then make a beeline for the coffee maker.

And what would be on that radio?

Sirius XM? Umm, this is a portable, battery-operated radio, several decades old.

Classic rock? Nah, too early.

Talk radio? Please.

That radio dial - yes, it's a slide dial, I'm not yet entered the digital read-out age - never leaves its trusty position.

That would be the soundtrack of my life, KYW Newsradio 1060 A.M.

I use it to be sure the world hasn't ended since I slid into my nightly coma a few hours before.

It also does something I need - it lets me know, in pretty quick order, the top news headlines from across the region.

But every once in awhile, it also produces a smile.

No, I'm talking about the forecast, which is calling for a cold, miserable drizzle this morning and another chance of snow showers tomorrow. I think spring has been cancelled.

No, I'm talking about the Trenton Thunder.

They are the minor league baseball team that plays in the New Jersey capital. An item on a special promotion they are "roll"-ing out this season brought a smile to my face as I drove into the office this morning.

They have come up with a new gimmick I can really sink my teeth into.

The team's nickname, as it has been for the past 25 years, is the Thunder.

But that will change one night this season.

Every Friday night, the team will be known as the Trenton Pork Roll.

The team will kick off its latest promotion May 18 with a giveaway and "Pork Roll Celebration." The first 1,025 fans - get it, in the team's 25th year - will get a special pork roll apron, and the team will sell special $1 pork roll sandwiches.

They have a tie-in with a local business, Case's Pork Roll of Trenton.

I happen to be someone who loves his pork roll.

I salute the Thunder, er Pork Roll.

Comments