A cartoon showing President Trump in a positive light? In the Daily Times?

I get accused every day of having a liberal bias. Readers complain we are lockstep with liberal causes and candidates.

In this Primary Election, I was accused of paying too much attention to the Democratic battle for the nomination in the newly minted 5th Congressional District.

Of course, that ignores the fact that it was the biggest race in the region. The Republican candidate, Pearl Kim, was running unopposed.

Democrats started off with a field of 14 that was pared down to 10. But they failed to agree on a nomination and instead opted for an open Primary. Republicans took a different path. They also had a slew of candidates looking to succeed Pat Meehan after his decision not to seek re-election. But they united behind Kim and the other candidates stepped aside.

I assure you we will cover both camps as we careen toward the November general election.

One area that really ticks off readers is our cartoons, which have a tendency to lampoon President Trump. That is in part because he's president. But my critics say I never run a cartoon showing the president in a good light.

Not today. On today's op-ed page we feature a cartoon showing the president raising hopes for peace with his looming summit with North Korean strongman Kim Jong Un.

Of course that was before yesterday's word that there were some problems with the deal.

I will admit that most of the cartoon's tend to slam the president. That sort of goes with the office. But that does not mean I rule out cartoons that show him in a better light. I hoped I proved that today.

It goes the same way with opinions. I have one. So do readers. I always offer readers who disagree the opportunity to pick up a pen - or a keyboard - and offer a response.

That offer still stands.

Comments