Another chance to be the editor

It's time once again to step into the confessional with the editor.

I have stated many times the most important decision I make here each day is our front page.

Yes, we still created a print edition every day, despite the inordinate amount of time I spend toiling online.

We had a strong local story today, that would be the 2-2 deadlock on County Council that means - at least for now - that opponents of the Mariner East 2 pipeline will not be getting the risk assessment study they want done.

But I can admit it was not my first choice.

I know the story people would be talking about. It started immediately after the NFL announced their new policy concerning those much-discussed protests by players during the playing of the National Anthem before games.

Yesterday the NFL took a stand.

Literally.

In fact, that was the front-page headline I initially imagined.

NFL TAKES STAND, emblazoned over a photo of players taking a knee.

The new policy states all players who are on the field must stand. If players do not wish to abide with the new policy, they can stay in the locker room until the anthem is finished.

This all started with former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. It turned into a conflagration when President Trump indicated he wished owners would fire some of these "sons of bitches."

One of the more thoughtful voices in all of this has belonged to Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins. You can read about how Eagles owner Jeff Lurie and some of his players reacted to the new policy here.

Anyone remember when sports was about games?

Now it's about where the players stand in terms of a championship team visiting the White House. By the way, you might be surprised to know I disagree with the Eagles who plan to skip the June meeting with President Trump. Don't get me wrong. No one is ever going to confuse me with a Trump backer. But I believe you have to be bigger than that, specifically you have to respect the office.

In terms of the anthem, well no surprise there. I'm a First Amendment guy. It has provided me with a living for nearly four decades.

To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of the intrusion of politics and other matters into my escape valve of sports. Hey, how 'bout those Phillies!

So about that front page: Let's see a show of hands. Did I make the right call. Once again, your chance to be the editor. Post your comments now.

Comments