A reminder that print is forever

It is something I have told reporters a million times: Print is forever.

Once that ink is put on paper and it rolls off the press, there is nothing I can do to alter it.

It's a little like living under Damocles' sword (Look it up, kids).

Which is why I bolted upright in bed about 3 a.m. this morning when I realized I forgot to check one thing in my Monday print Letter From the Editor.

I had made a note to myself to check this item while I was writing my column early Sunday morning. Of course, in the rush of things I never went back to check on it.

And with staffing being what it is these days in the newspaper racket, those extra sets of eyes looking at copy are now largely non-existent.

So, yes, my Monday column sailed right into print - and posterity - with me identifying Jackie Robinson as wearing No. 41. I assure you I am well aware that, as the movie starring Chadwick Boseman in the starring role reminds me, that the Dodgers great actually wore No. 42.

It also reminds me of one of the things I like best about the Internet. It allows you to correct and update copy. So if you are reading my column online, you will see Robinson's jersey number correctly identified.

Print?

Well, like I said, that's forever.

Comments