The Drive for 45: Honoring a Delco legend

I've been writing a lot the last couple of weeks about the travails of the newspaper business.

Yes, we are facing some fairly dire straits. The economic model that formed the backbone of the business is broken, and I'm not at all sure it's coming back.

Then there was the crazed gunman who decided to settle his grudge against a newspaper in Annapolis, Md., by walking into their offices with a shotgun and opening fire. He killed five workers.

So, yes, I have lots of things on my mind.

But every once in awhile, you are reminded of the importance of words, and what we do here every day.

Which is why I found myself recently at the morning board meeting of the Sports Legends of Delaware County Museum.

But the truth is, this is not about me.

It's about a very special athlete who hailed from right here in Delaware County.

He was a trailblazer, very much in the vein of Jackie Robinson.

What Robinson did when he broke the color barrier with the Dodgers, this gentleman did in the NFL when he suited up for the New York Giants.

But first he grew up and starred in Radnor.

Meet Emlen Tunnell.

If you don't know the name, you're not alone.

I, along with the sports museum, am hoping to change that. They have erected a 7-foot bronze statue of Tunnell that stands at the entrance to the Radnor Municipal Office, which is now home to the museum.

They also are spearheading a drive to have Tunnell's jersey No. 45 retired.

They have my support.

It's in this week's Letter From the Editor.

Comments