We stand with the Capital Gazette

Yesterday in my weekly Letter From the Editor, I talked about the fact that last week was not a great week to work for a newspaper.

For a lot of reasons.

These are not good days for this industry.

We find ourselves under attack on all fronts.

But I would ask you for just a moment to consider what it would be like if we were not there. If we weren't sitting in all those municipal meetings, keeping tabs on your local officials.

Holding county leaders accountable.

Shining a light in all those dark places that so many would rather would simply remain shrouded in the darkness.

Look, we're not always going to agree with each other. I have no quibble with that, so long as the conversation remains civil. These days, apparently, even that is too much to ask.

A lot of people have decided we are "the enemy of the people." I've never considered myself anything of the sort.

Have some local politicians considered me an enemy? I don't doubt it a bit.

But I think if you asked them, every one of them would tell you that I am always here, always willing to listen, and sometimes even find myself agreeing with their complaints.

I used today's editorial page to talk a little bit about just what it is we do here every day, and the value it still holds.

It comes just days after the horror of mass shootings that are in danger of becoming our routine paid a deadly visit to our brethren at the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, Md.

I used this title for the editorial: We stand with the Capital Gazette. Let me know if you agree. Or if you disagree for that matter.

Comments

Jane Yavis said…
I stand with the legitimate Journalism that seems to outrage so many, and I mourn the loss of five brave people who went to work daily to keep us informed. Too many people have taken the "social" out of social media, and that's sad.