Welcome to Pa., home of the world's worst weather 300 days a year

There was a point there last night where I seriously considered whether I should start building an ark.

Yes, it was raining that hard.

And not just a cloudburst. It was teeming for about 30 minutes.

This was about 9 o'clock.

There is a creek that runs behind our house. Usually it's fairly tranquil as it meanders through the yard.

But when it rains like it did last night, it turns into a raging torrent.

Since it was my turn to be on the desk last night, I was working from home. All I thought about was what I was going to do if the power went out. I actually considered venturing out into the back yard, then thought better of it.

I've been in our house for 34 years. I've only seen it rage up over its banks once. I don't necessarily need to see it again.

I glanced out there this morning, and everything still seemed to be intact.

v Which is better than some people made out.

Several water rescues were reported across the region.

There is a great little English restaurant called The Whip Tavern about 20 minutes from our house. It is located not far from the Brandywine. The place apparently was packed - as it usually is - last night when the monsoon hit. Pretty soon people realized that they were trapped in the parking lot, as the rising water from the nearby Brandywine flooded the entire area.

Several people had to be rescued by boat.

Don't look for a lot of improvement in the weather this week. Sounds like we are going to be stuck in this humid, wet pattern, with a chance of showers every day.

We remain under a flash flood watch for a good part of the region until 4 a.m. Tuesday.

As I always say, Pennsylvania needs a new slogan: World's Worst Weather, 300 Days a Year.

Maybe I should start on that ark after all.

Comments