A very long day in Chi

Someone once said you learn more from your mistakes than your successes.

If that's the case, I should have learned a lot on a scorching hot September morning in 1971.

That's when the first varsity football team in the history of Oxford Area High School made the long trek up Route 1 to Delaware County to challenge Chichester High as our coach returned to his alma mater to go up against his mentor, the legendary Coach Tony Apichella.

It did not go well for the kids from the sticks.

That would be Oxford.

Yes, back in those days, a lot of folks in Delco believed Chi was out in the sticks and the kids who played for them mostly farm kids.

I don't know that they thought of us.

I do know this.

I learned a lot that day.

I learned things don't always go your way.

And thanks to Coach Apichella, I learned there was a right way to act when you win.

The score that day? 72-3.

Yeah, it was a long day.

It's in today's Letter From the Editor.

Comments