Confessions of an Altar Boy

Call it the Confessions of an Altar Boy.

Yes, I once donned that black cassock and white surplice to serve at the Mass.

So yes, I spent a lot of time alone with priests.

No, I was never abused. Nothing even remotely like the sordid stories we have been hearing in the grand jury report that detailed the abuse of thousands of children by more than 300 priests in six Pennsylvania dioceses over seven decades.

Even more troubling is the clear pattern of covering up such sinful actions by church leaders. It's the same sad scenario that played out in the earlier grand jury report in Philadelphia.

All of this, as well as several other factors, have left me questioning my faith.

Actually, my faith remains strong.

My need for priests and the church? Not so much.

It's in this week's Letter From the Editor.

Comments