Students feel the heat as they head back to class

Somehow I don't think this is exactly what school officials had in mind.

Here in Delaware County, kids in Upper Darby and Ridley lead the charge in heading back to school before Labor Day.

This year Philadelphia also is experimenting with the early start.

They're not exactly getting a lot of help from Mother Nature.

Blazing heat and humidity greeted kids as they trudged back to school.

In Philadelphia, students have been dismissed the last two days at 1 p.m. because many of the city schools do not have central air-conditioning.

They will do likewise today.

You can get a full report on the start of classes in Delco here.

While today is not supposed to be quite as hot, topping out at 89, I actually thought the air was probably about as thick as it's been all summer when I walked out of the house this morning.

Of course, I am that odd animal who actually enjoys this kind of weather. My only regret is that I am working rather than celebrating the sunrise with a nice, long - hot - walk. Relief is on the way. It's supposed to cool off tomorrow and stay on the cool, wet side with showers expected through the weekend. For me it was nice while it was lasted. Almost time to bid summer goodbye.

Comments