The reaction to 'Confessions of an Altar Boy'

I knew it was coming. But I have to admit was surprised by the tone.

Very few things I've written have sparked the kind of reaction as Monday's Letter From the Editor,'Confessions of an Altar Boy,' and my reaction to the latest scandal plaguing the Catholic Church.

I have been a bit overwhelmed at the number of people who have reached out to let me know they are feeling the exact same kind of revulsion on learning the horrific details in the grand jury report, detailing more than 1,000 children sexually abused by more than 300 priests over seven decades. And, of course, the knowledge that it was allowed to continue - and fester - as church officials worked not to help the victims, but to protect the church and cover the tracks of predator priests.

Several readers actually reached out to me with an invitation to join their congregations.

I would be lying if I told you that sentiment was unanimous.

Yes, I have received phone calls from some who think I continue a long history of the press picking on the Catholic church.

No, I don't happen to know if there are any plans to empanel grand juries to look at public schools or other institutions.

For now I likely will muddle along, trying to come to some kind of grip on my Catholic upbringing and beliefs.

I still don't feel I necessarily need a priest or the church to have a relationship with God.

I know a lot of people are hoping this issue would simply go away.

Don't hold your breath.

The letter this week from a bishop pointing an accusatory finger at the Vatican and Pope Francis, strongly suggesting they knew about the abuse, pretty much guarantees that.

On Tuesday Attorney General Josh Shapiro, the man who pushed the state grand jury of six Pennsylvania dioceses, went on the 'Today' show and intimated that the Vatican knew about - and was complicit - in the cover-up of sexual abuse by priests.

He offered no specific reference to Pope Francis, nor did he provide any documents, only referencing confidential reports that bishops made to the Vatican about abusive priests.

There are those who are now calling for Pope Francis to resign.

Don't look for this to go away anytime soon.

Comments