'White Shoes' & Emlen: Two Delco greats

As I mentioned yesterday, I had the good fortune of being able to join Ray Didinger, Seth Joyner and the cast and director of Ray's autobiographical play 'Tommy and Me' for the question-and-answer session after the show.

During the chat where I served as host, I could not help but mention a name that popped up during the show.

Actually, I had an ulterior motive.

Of the many great players Eagles great wide receiver Tommy McDonald - the focus of Ray's play - competed against, one name stood out to me.

So during the question-and-answer session, I asked the audience how many knew who Emlen Tunnel was?

I should have known better. After all, this was a football crowd.

But I also knew that several members of the Sports Legends of Delaware County Museum also were in the audience.

They are making a push to have the NFL retire the number of Tunnel, a native of the Garrett Hill section in Radnor who starred at Radnor High before going on to an illustrious NFL career and becoming the first African American player to be enshrined in the NFL Football Hall of Fame.

That's right, Tunnell now sits right there alongside his old nemesis, Tommy McDonald.

I've written about Tunnell several times now, and I would like nothing better than to see his No. 45 jersey retired, making him the NFL's equivalent of Jackie Robinson.

Speaking of NFL greats, also in the audience Saturday night were several family members and friends of another legendary Delco name.

Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson starred at Chichester High, Widener University and then went on to a stellar career in the NFL as a wide receiver and kick returner. You'd be hard-pressed to find a special teamer who deserves a spot in Canton more than "White Shoes.'

The Sports Legends also are going to make a push to get Billy into the Hall of Fame.

They got my vote.

Comments