A memory of summer, & a family tradition

My kids know me too well.

I spent the weekend in the Washington, D.C., area, where both of our children now live.

We used the occasion to celebrate both my and my son's birthdays. We fall at the two different ends of the month - me on the 1st, Sean on the 30th.

They could not resist the temptation to offer gifts.

My daughter gave me the perfect reminder of summer. We are both serious Rehoboth Beach lovers. She and her husband spent the week after Labor Day at our favorite shore town.

We always talk about our love of the place and some of the things that make it feel like a second home. Of course, a big part of that involves food.

And for us, that means two things - Grotto's Pizza and Thrasher's French Fries.

So for my birthday, and perhaps knowing that I'm in mourning as we close the book on another summer season, she gave me perhaps the perfect gift.

A Thrasher's French Fries T-shirt. Every time I put it on, I will think of summer - and those glorious fries doused with vinegar.

I would only add one thing: I would add a line of text to the bottom of the T-shirt with my own personal confession: "Yes, I ate a few off the counter."

C'mon, admit it. You know you do, too.

For my son, apparel also was on his mind. He offered a hoodie emblazed with the English department logo of the high school where he now teaches.

But his special treat came the next morning, at breakfast.

As we settled into our seats in the diner, and the coffee arrived, the two of us smiled knowingly, even as our wives both grimaced.

Yes, we upheld something of a Heron tradition. That would be sticking those little plastic creamers in our eyes for a family photo. I started doing this when they were kids.

Now both my daughter and son uphold the tradition.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree in this crowd.

Thanks for the great weekend, guys.

Comments