Eagles wrapup: Super Bowl hangovers & The Wentz & future starter?

To be honest, this is the blog post I thought I'd be writing last week.

This is what a Super Bowl hangover looks like.

The Eagles did not impress me at any point in the preseason.

They did even less in their opener against the Falcons, but somehow escaped with a win.

Yesterday, a lot of things caught up with the Eagles. They still do not have Carson Wentz. Nick Foles, the Super Bowl MVP, still has a tendency to look incredibly pedestrian. They have been rocked by other injuries, especially on offense, where Foles has precious few weapons at wide receiver and running back.

Then add in Doug Pederson for some reason taking a page out of the Andy Reid playbook, for some reason looking like he was trying to run out the clock toward the end of the game when the Eagles needed two scores.

But here's an even more troubling thought.

So what?

It was a gorgeous Sunday afternoon.

I again found myself asking myself why I was spending the day in front of the TV.

I guess old habits die hard.

Almost as hard as DeSean Jackson's feelings toward the team that cut him loose in ugly fashion.

Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Falcons didn't take long to get Jackson into the game. They connected on the first play of the game for a 75-yard touchdown.

I have no idea what the defense was doing.

I'm only slightly less thrilled with what Doug Pederson is trying to do with this banged-up offense.

A couple of caveats: The Birds' record after Week 2 last year? 1-1. Same as this year.

The cure for a Super Bowl hangover could be in the works this morning if Pederson strolls to the microphones and announces Carson Wentz will be his starting QB next Sunday at the Linc vs. the Colts.

That's what I was hinting at on today's front page.

Possible front for tomorrow:

Heeeeeeeeere's Carson!

Comments