More on American greatness

I took the time yesterday to think a little bit about American greatness.

It comes in the wake of the death of Sen. John McCain, a Navy fighter pilot, POW, statesman, senator and two-time presidential candidate.

Upon McCain's death, I had a reporter look up Ralph Galati. The Wallingford man also spent time in the infamous 'Hanoi Hilton' at the same time McCain was there.

If you are looking for greatness in the gaping void left by McCain's death, we would do well to look to men like Ralph Galati. I took yesterday's blog item and used it on today's editorial page.

Of course, that did not stop the trolls from coming out and attacking me for what they believe was a flip-flop on McCain. They say I attacked him constantly and now am attempting to make amends on his death. That's actually not true. I was always an admirer of McCain, in particular the way he comported himself, and his call for more a more reasoned, bipartisan political debate.

No matter, if you want to see what I deal with every day, simply go to the bottom of the editorial on DelcoTimes.com and read the comments.

The funeral for McCain was not without some controversy. Part of that was supplied by none other than his daughter Meghan McCain, who left little to the imagination in a scorching screed against the current political climate and occupant of the White House.

Columnist Chris Freind today joins those who believe Ms. McCain's comments were ill-conceived and go against much of what her father once stood for.

You can read it here.

I doubt my haters will bother to note that I also ran Chris' column without reservation.

Comments