Oh, deer! And a new red light on Route 352

Time for some traffic tips.

I don't know if deer have calendars - but from my experience this morning I think they just might.

In other words, they are everywhere.

I encountered no less than four or five different groups of the critters on my drive into the office this morning in the usual pre-dawn darkness.

Still can't believe I have not had a more close-up encounter with one of them. The closest I have come is one that literally bounced off the side of my car, quickly gathered himself, and bounded away into a field.

But consider yourself warned. It's now September and the deer seem to know that fall is on the way, and they are waiting out there for you.

My other traffic tip for today is for anyone who travels on Route 352 (Middletown Road).

I'm on it twice every day, from Granite Run to West Chester Pike.

Now you must know at this point that there is really only good thing about the hours that I keep. That being that when I'm on the road - especially on my morning commute - I basically have the road to myself.

Of course, I share it with the deer, and a couple of joggers who I see religiously every morning. I greatly admire their resolve and can only wish I had that kind of time.

I don't fare quite as well in the evening, although I'm usually late enough so that I don't hit the peak traffic.

On these two commutes, I am pretty much on auto-pilot. I actually think the damn car could find its way to and from on its own.

My temper is not suited to heavy traffic and I don't much care for sitting at a red light at 4:45 a.m., without another car in sight.

Having said that, about the last thing Route 352 needs is another red light.

But that's what we've got.

That flashing yellow light that was installed at Valley Road more than a year ago?

It's now a fully working red light.

When I drove home last night I noticed that someone had the good idea to erect a sign along the road as you approach the intersection to remind people that there is a traffic light ahead, one that could be red instead of the flashing yellow it's been for months.

I have to admit if the situation were reversed, and I was trying to get out onto Middletown Road from Valley Road, I might appreciate the opportunity to have traffic actually stop.

But I'm selfish. I'm never on Valley Road. I'm on 352. And why in god's name I'm sitting at a red light without another car in sight in the pre-dawn darkness is beyond me.

Could they put this thing on a timer so that is only goes red when traffic is coming, or during peak hours.

I can't wait to see what traffic does there during the first big winter storm.

It's already a nightmare at the light they put in at Forge Road.

What used to be an easy commute is now turning into a real slog.

Comments