On the prowl with Tiger

So much for the preliminaries.

The Eagles are 1-0, a big win as they kick off their defense of their Super Bowl title.

But - at least for me - it's not the big sports story in Delaware County this week.

I can tell you what is in one word:

Tiger.

The weather wasn't the only thing that was red-hot at Aronimink Golf Club in Newtown Square Thursday. Tiger Woods threatened the course record, ending up tying it with a scorching 8-under 62.

And that only got him a tie for the lead.

Rory McIlroy matched Tiger's 62.

I get accused of being biased all the time.

This time, it's true.

I'm a major Tiger Woods fan.

I would like nothing better than to see him post his first win since the 2013 Bridgestone Invitational right here in Delaware County, on one of the area's iconic golf courses.

The fact that it very likely represents something of an economic boom is a definite plus.

But it's not my primary reason for being glued to the action.

I'm a golf nut. Unfortunately, I wind up watching a lot more golf on TV than I actually play.

I've been a Tiger fan since he first arrived on the tour.

This is pretty simple, really. Tiger did things on the golf course people had never seen before.

I'm going to be watching regardless. The fact that the BMW championship is being contested in our back yard is certainly a plus. But to have Tiger in his red jersey on the prowl - and on the leaderboard - Sunday afternoon would be something special.

Here's the best way I can explain it.

Golf on Sunday afternoon, to me, is always great sport. I watch some of it just about every weekend.

But it's just golf.

When Tiger is on the leaderboard Sunday afternoon, golf transcends into something else - an event.

Here's hoping we have a big event at Aronimink Sunday afternoon.

Comments