The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick (Thursday Opening Night Edition)

Now what?

After 52 years, "next year" is finally here.

The Eagles are defending Super Bowl champions.

Yes, it still feels good.

A lot better than I feel about tonight's nationally televised NFL season kickoff pitting the Birds vs. the Atlanta Falcons at Lincoln Financial Field.

It's a rematch of last season's NFL Divisional Playoff Game that saw the Eagles outlast the Falcons in a defensive struggle, 15-10. You might also remember that Matt Ryan had a chance to connect with Julio Jones in the end zone in the final minute but missed.

Tonight there will be a lot of things "missing," especially for Doug Pederson's guys.

First and foremost, there is no Carson Wentz. Pederson was only slightly more secretive than the New York Times in guarding the name of his starting QB as long as possible.

I saw this one coming months ago. There is no way the Eagles were going to rush the face of the franchise - and a potential perennial MVP - back for the opener. My guess is Wentz misses several weeks.

That brings us to his replacement, Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles. He's also been missing so far in the preseason. At least the guy who came in for Wentz and drove the Birds through the playoffs and to a Lombardi Trophy.

The Birds' first-team offense was putrid in the exhibitions, failing to score a single touchdown.

Granted, Foles was without a lot of weapons. Alshon Jeffery did not play at all. Guess what? He's not playing tonight either. Jay Ajayi missed time in the preseason, but is expected to be in uniform tonight. So is All-Pro left tackle Jason Peters, who skipped the entire preseason. He'll be a safety blanket for Foles.

The Eagles are going to struggle to score points.

You can only hope the Eagles defense is up to the challenge of once again shutting down the potent Atlanta offense led by Exton native Matt Ryan.

I see the Eagles' struggles continuing tonight.

Can hardly wait for Doug Pederson's post-game press conference.

Next question!

THE PICK: Make it Falcons 27, Eagles 13. The Eagles offense is just not there. The defense is in a bit of flux itself, with questions at linebacker and the defensive backfield. Starter Nigel Bradham will miss the game because of a suspension. LAST WEEK: No games obviously. But a reminder that the Eagles were not the only ones who had a pretty good year last season. Counting in the Super Bowl, in which I correctly picked the Birds, I went 13-4. Geez, with sports betting now legal in these parts, what am I doing editing a newspaper? LAST YEAR:

GAME BY GAME: Eagles 30, Redskins 17. (My Pick: Eagles 26, Redskins 13)

Chiefs 27, Eagles 20. (My Pick: Chiefs 33, Eagles 17)

Eagles 27, Giants 24. (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 17)

Eagles 26, Chargers 24. (My Pick: Chargers 27, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Cardinals 7. (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cardinals 24)

Eagles 28, Panthers 23. (My Pick: Panthers 26, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Redskins 24. (My Pick: Eagles 31, Redskins 19)

Eagles 33, 49ers 10. (My Pick: Eagles 24, 49ers 10)

Eagles 51, Broncos 23 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Broncos 19)

Eagles 37, Cowboys 9 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cowboys 17)

Eagles 31, Bears 3 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Bears 13)

Seahawks 24, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Seahawks 23, Eagles 17)

Eagles 43, Rams 35 (My Pick: Rams 33, Eagles 29)

Eagles 24, Giants 29 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 19)

Eagles 19, Raiders 10 (My Pick: Eagles 27, Raiders 17)

Cowboys 6, Eagles 0 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Cowboys 16)

NFC Divisional Playoff

Eagles 15, Falcons 10 (My Pick: Falcons 23, Eagles 13)

NFC Championship Game

Eagles 38, Vikings 7 (My Pick: Eagles 16, Vikings 13)

Super Bowl

Eagles 41, Patriots 33

Comments