The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

The Eagles' season starts now.

He's back.

Nine months after suffering a knee injury against the Rams that ended his season, Carson Wentz will return to the lineup vs. the Colts at what will be a rocking Lincoln Financial Field Sunday.

I just wish he had a few more arrows in his quiver.

The Eagles will be a decidedly undermanned team that rallies around its leader Sunday. Everyone who saw him practice all summer said Wentz looks great. That & a buck will get you any size coffee you want at Wawa these days.

Wentz can't do this alone. More importantly, I'm not sure the Eagles should be asking him to do it all in his first appearance back under center.

He won't have Jay Ajayi. No Darren Sproles. Corey Clement is hobbling. Alshon Jeffery is not ready to return. Look for a big dose of Zach Ertz. Wentz does get an old, familiar face to throw to with the return of Jordan Matthews, signed this week to shore up a hurting wide receiver corps.

On defense, after being shredded by Bucs' big-time backup Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Eagles will face a rejuvenated Andrew Luck. I'd love to go with the Eagles here.

Then there's the Reich factor. Think the guy who was Doug Pederson's right-hand man last year wouldn't like to return to the Linc and beat his old pal. Frank Reich is very familiar with what the Eagles like to do and Pederson's tendencies.

It seems as if everyone likes Wentz to simply pick up right where he left off when he crashed into the end zone against the Rams. I for one hope he doesn't. Don't take that to be a slap at Wentz. I think the guy has Hall of Fame written all over him. But I think - now more than ever - he will need to change his style of play to survive in this league.

And I don't think anyone misses nine months and then just flips the switch and picks up where he left off.

I hope I'm wrong. If I am, I'll start polishing Wentz's bust in Canton.

THE PICK: Make it Colts 23, Eagles 17. Yes, Wentz is back. And the Birds are playing at home, where for some reason their defense plays much better than on the road. But Wentz has next to no one to hand the ball off to, and not a lot more to throw to. I'll believe this team when I see it.

LAST WEEK: I'm not exactly off to a hot start. I actually thought the Eagles would throw up a dud in their opener against the Falcons. They weren't great, but still came away with a win over the Falcons. They didn't play a lot better on either side of the ball last week against the Bucs and it cost them their first defeat of the season. They sitting at 1-1 while yours truly is still looking for his first prognosticating victory, with an ugly 0-2 mark. Hate to reverse that with an Eagles' loss, but that's the way I'm seeing it.

GAME BY GAME: Eagles 18, Falcons 12. (My Pick: Falcons 27, Eagles 13)

Buccaneeers 27, Eagles 21 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Buccaneers 13)

Comments