What is a guest columnist?

What the hell is a guest columnist anyhow?

I thought maybe I would bring up that topic after some readers were taken aback by an item that appeared on our op-ed page earlier this week.

The submission was similar to one those that often appear on our opinion pages, clearly labeled "Times Guest Columnist." So why did this one raise a few eyebrows?

The author.

It was penned by Andy Reilly. He just happens to be the chairman of the Delaware County Republican Party. I try not to refer to Andy as 'boss' of the party anymore. He hates that.

A glance at the calendar tells me we are barreling toward October. In other words, elections season.

Some people were puzzled by Reilly suddenly being a "Times Guest Columnist." They wondered if the Daily Times was showing its hand, an accusation that has been made for years by Delco Democrats, that we actually favor the Delco GOP. I get the same accusation from some Republicans who are convinced we are in the tank for Democrats.

"Does the Delco Times believe that it’s good for democracy to have the chair of a political party have favored status at the paper?" one Democrat official asked. "Or will the paper provide the same free access to the Delco Dems?"

It was one of several emails I received by people who were puzzled by Reilly's piece and wanted to know if we would offer the same treatment to Democrats.

First things first. There is no favored status here.

Don't be fooled by that "Guest Columnist" tag. It's simply a mechanism we use at times to denote a submission that is longer than our standard letter to the editor.

It does not offer anyone "favored" status.

Secondly, I have stated any number of times that I am an equal opportunity publicist. If you have something to say, by all means pick up a pen and join the conversation.

New Delaware County Democratic Party chair Colleen Guiney decided to take me up on my offer.

Her response to Reilly's guest column appears in today's paper.

And yes, she also is accorded "Times Guest Columnist" status.

Why do I get the feeling it's going to be a long seven weeks.

Comments