A farewell to summer

It was time. Actually, it was probably long past time.

I did something last night that I am loathe to do.

I said goodbye to summer.

On Oct. 10. Hey, I'll take it.

It was my kind of night, thick, humid air that envelops you like a cloak.

It was already dark when my wife reminded me that I had yet to take out the trash bag she had asked me to take care of the day before. Since the toter was not out on the street awaiting its Thursday delivery, I grabbed the bag and headed outside.

After I completed my mission, deposited the bag and headed back down the driveway, I stopped about halfway there.

That's when it hit me.

I stopped in my tracks, looked around and tried to drink it all in.

This is it, I thought. Summer is over.

I decided to sit on my favorite chair on the front porch, propped my feet up on the railing, and just sit there for awhile.

That actually is my goal in life a lot of days anymore. Just sitting sounds pretty good to me. No email. No Twitter. No Facebook. Not even a baseball game on the radio.

I sat there, closed my eyes and tried to wish away what I know is coming next.

Sure, I enjoy autumn as much as anyone. But it's always tempered by what I know is coming next.

I'm not talking about the holidays.

I'm talking about that 90 days from Jan. 2 until April arrives.

It was my kind of summmer, lots of heat and humidity.

But the forecast does not look promising.

A cold front is going to bring rain today, followed by a weekend in which temperatures struggle to get into the mid-60s.

Summer is over.

See you in May.

Comments