A lesson from Fred Rogers

I can't get the thought out of my head.

Or the tune, either.

It was the song that introduced my kids each day to a little bit of calm in a world spinning wildly off its axis.

Now more than ever.

Ever since I heard about the shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh Saturday morning, I have been thinking about a single person.

A beacon of light - and civility - in an angry world.

And a song that became his badge.

Fred Rogers lived in the very same Squirrel Hill neighborhood where this latest gun atrocity took place. Yes, that Fred Rogers.

A mass shooting took place in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Yesterday I wrote about that confluence of events, a mass shooting and the many life lessons imparted from a a gentleman who embodied the notion of being a "gentle man."

I was left basically with this question as we again mourn those we lost, ponder how this could have happened, and plot a new path to insure what we all know will most assuredly happen again does not.

It's pretty simple, really.

Won't you be my neighbor?

It's today's editorial.

Comments