A weird day for this die-hard Eagles fan

A very weird thing happened yesterday.

After what seemed like non-stop rain for a month, the skies cleared and Mother Nature graced us with a stunning, gorgeous sunny Sunday.

Which, of course, caused a problem.

Sunday. Fall. Eagles.

Yes, I remain a devoted Birds' fan.

But something is different this year. I think it has to do with the fact that the Eagles are now defending Super Bowl champions. I think it mighit be something many of us lifelong Iggles fans are dealing with. After waiting through 51 Super Bowls for the Birds to win it all, they finally brought home the Lombardi Trophy last February.

Now, as the Eagles struggle amidst a pretty pedestrian 2-2 start, it doesn't seem nearly life and death as it used to.

My wife and I were doing errands yesterday morning, in the few minutes this weekend when I wasn't staring at a laptop. As the clock inched past noon, this would usually be a problem.

In the past, I'd never consider missing any of the pre-game shows leading up to a 1 o'clock Eagles game.

But yesterday, on this gorgeous day, I was just happy to be outside.

I got home just in time to flip on the TV for the opening kickoff.

But something was bothering me - and it wasn't the struggles of the Birds against the Titans.

I again was asking myself what the hell I was doing sitting inside on a day that was this gorgeous, especially when I know what is coming - winter, when I'll have more than enough time cooped up inside.

At that point, fate intervened.

The TV went out. We recently redid our basement, updating it and making it into a lot more useable space. One of the things I wanted to do was have it available to watch the games on Sunday afternoons. My wife and I have something of a tradition of eating our dinner in front of the tube while we watch either the late game or the Eagles post-game show.

But for some reason, the TV, which was working fine all weekend, went out.

I walked upstairs and turned on another TV, while my wife (the tech person in our house), tried to figure our what was wrong with the TV.

Then I did something I didn't think I'd ever do.

I walked over the to TV, turned it off, and went outside in the back yard and chipped golf balls.

It was beautiful.

I did not miss the game a bit.

I did not miss Doug Pederson for some reason dialing up 50 pass attempts against just 22 rushes when Carson Wentz was getting hit just about every time he dropped back.

I didn't miss Jalen Mills getting burned again. Funny, he never does that finger wave when he gets beat, as opposed to when he breaks up a pass.

I didn't miss the Eagles blowing a 17-3 lead in the fourth quarter.

And I can assure you I didn't miss them not stopping the Titans on 4th and 15. Stop them there and the game is over. 4th and 15!!!!

There was a time when that would have led to a full-blown meltdown.

Not yesterday.

This is weird.

Comments