After 101-6 loss, Sun Valley moves on

So what do you do after you get beat 101-6?

You go back to work.

Good for Sun Valley.

The Vanguards took a road trip to Ohio, opting to take a date with powerful Massillon Washington High than a week off because of a scheduling quirk.

It didn't go well.

I wrote earlier this week that I know how they feel.

I was once part of a fledgling football team at Oxford High that got beat 72-3 at Chichester.

I remember how long that bus ride back out Route 1 home was.

I can only imagine what the 7-hour bus trek from Ohio back to Aston was like.

My guess is that one of the quietest bus rides these kids have even taken.

Sports staffer Matt DeGeorge caught up with Sun Valley coach Greg "Bubba" Bernhardt and some of the kids.

They didn't duck the questions.

They said they are simply moving on.

It happens. I know.

I hope school officials, parents and boosters allow them to do what they say they are doing, moving on.

And here's something they probably won't especially appreciate right now.

You probably won't remember a lot about your high school football careers.

But you will always remember that Friday night in Massillon, Ohio.

I know that 47 years later, I can still vividly remember the Saturday morning when Chi running back Joe Miller and his teammates ran roughshod over a bunch of kids from "out in the sticks."

Someone once said you learn a lot more from life's losses than you ever do from the big wins.

I think that certainly was true in my case.

And I hope the Sun Valley kids learn the same thing.

Comments