Left to die on the side of the road

Here's a question for you:

When is the last time you remember someone involved in a fatal hit-run NOT getting caught.

Thought so.

I can only assume that what happens in these instances is a moment of pure panic.

I have this recurring nightmare.

I happen to drive to and from the office very early in the morning, and later after rush hour at night. Especially at this time of year, driving right into the last bit of the sun, it's often a struggle to stay awake.

Every time I drive by a person out either very early or later at night who is jogging along the side of the road, the thought hits me. What if this was one of those times when I dozed off? I have often found myself driving on the shoulder of the road.

It's the kind of thing that puts you into a cold sweat.

Which brings me to today's lead story. We have now had two fatal hit-run crashes in the span of less than a week.

The first was last weekend out on West Chester Pike in Edgmont.

Then the other night a woman was struck and killed while walking on the shoulder of the road on northbound Route 202 in Concord.

In both instances, the driver of the car fled the scene.

Obviously both cars likely have major damage.

Do they realistically think they aren't going to be caught.

In the West Chester Pike incident, police already believe they know the vehicle and are continuing to investigate who was driving.

In the Route 202, there is a bit more vague description of the striking vehicle.

I can understand how such an accident might occur.

I can't understand fleeing the scene. Is it just a moment of panic? Were the drivers' impaired?

In the meantime, two families are mourning the loss of a loved one and wondering how someone could possibly strike them and simply leave them to die on the side of the road.

I am, too.

Comments