RIP, Bob Dimond

Usually when I am out at a public event and see a public official heading toward me, I wince just a bit.

I know what's coming.

I'm about to be told the newspaper is unfair.

The newspaper did this. The newspaper did that.

How come we never report any good news from their town.

It goes with the territory.

There are exceptions, however.

Bob Dimond, for instance.

Of the many times I met Bob out in public, he would inevitably meet me with a smile and a warm handshake. He always took the time to thank the newspaper for what we do, especially in an area that was very close to his heart, veterans affairs.

Dimond, the longtime Media Borough tax collector and official in the borough Democratic party, died this week at the age of 84.

Bob, along with Mayor Bob McMahon, was one of the driving forces that turned the old Armory building in the borough into the Pennsylvania Veterans Museum.

He was a former mayor and council member in East Lansdowne, as well as a founding member and executive director of the Veterans Legacy Project.

He also could be seen on stage with the Swarthmore Players.

The county seat, 'Everybody's Hometown,' has lost one of its stalwarts.

And I've lost a friend.

You can read Bob's obit here.

Comments