A grateful thank you from a comic book kid

I was a comic book kid.

It was where I first indulged one of my great loves - reading.

When I wasn't hip deep in the Baltimore Catechism under orders of the good sister of IHM, you could find my nose planted in a Marvel comic book.

Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk and the Fantastic Four were my childhood heroes.

It's probably not an accident that Peter Parker, the kid who was bitten by a spider and somehow developed "Spidey" abilities, worked at a newspaper. I guess it was fate.

The man who created all those great characters for Marvel Comics died yesterday.

Stan Lee was 95.

It was the great rivalry of my youth, Stan Lee and his legion of characters vs. Superman, Batman and the superheroes of D.C. Comics.

Those glossy, paper-thin mags transported me from my drab life in a tiny town out in Chester County to the glamorous, adventurous life of a superhero.

And for that I will always be indebted to Stan Lee.

RIP to a comic king.

Comments