Darkness on the edge of town

The timing was perfect.

A simply glorious Sunday afternoon, and the Eagles actually had a bye week.

How nice was it? I didn't even mind mowing the lawn one more time.

Actually, I was cheating. I still cut my own grass, but I don't rake. Luckily, my push mower is also a mulcher.

I slapped on the headphones, cranked up Bruce on the E Street Radio app on my phone, and did some serious damage to the hordes of leaves that littered the lawn.

It was about as good as it gets.

So why did I have a lingering sense of sadness?

A Darkness on the Edge of Town, if you will?

Because I knew what was coming.

After I pulverized all those leaves, my wife and I ran some errands. She needed to pick up a prescription. We made our normal stop at Wawa for coffee, grabbed that Rx, then simply went for a ride in all that gorgeous sunshine.

So what was wrong?

I'll tell you what was wrong.

4:30, that's what.

Actually, I noticed it about 4 o'clock.

Yes, we bid adieu to Daylight Savings Time early Sunday morning. Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the extra hour, though to be honest it doesn't affect the insane hour I usually get up.

But it certainly did affect me Sunday afternoon.

You can tell the time change because of the different way the sun hits the house.

I gazed out the window at 4:30 and watched the sun slowly disappear.

Now, I will deal with my annual winter challenge - how not to get depressed.

That's not easy to do when you drive to work in the dark, and do the same on the ride home.

I will enjoy the holidays, but the next 90 days are just a killer.

I should have taken some snapshots yesterday to remind me.

It was a beautiful day.

I just wish it wasn't followed by what I knew was coming.

Bruce was right.

There really is a darkness on the edge of town.

Comments