Your early a.m. report from the roads

Well, that was ugly.

That wintry mix that was supposed to hit us Thursday turned into a full-fledged winter nightmare.

If you had the misfortune of being out on the roads during the mid-day period when wind-whipped snow dumped several inches on the region, you know what I mean.

Basically, the entire region turned into a parking lot.

My wife got out of school early. Her 20-minute commute turned into a couple of hours of white-knuckle driving.

I learned my lesson last year, when I made the mistake of thinking I would leave the office early and finish working from home.

Me and everyone else.

My 40-minute commute turned into a four-hour nightmare.

Yesterday after hearing and seeing nothing but nightmares on the roads, I took another option. I stuck it out here in the office until about 6:30.

By that time the snow had mostly dissipated and changed over to a driving rain.

The roads were sloppy, but infinitely better than they were around 1 or 2 o'clock, when conditions went south and most roads turned into parking lots.

Guess what? The snow is back again this morning.

I just drove through a mix of conditions, with some snow, some rain, and all of it being whipped around by a nasty, biting wind. The morning commute likely is going to be another nightmare.

Brace yourself.

Like I said in today's lead story, so much for autumn.

Comments