How far have we come when it comes to race?

Some days I just sit here in this chair and shake my head.

It's my job to deliver the news.

It does not take a holiday, I assure you.

As much as I would like to avoid it - especially at this time of year - it still manages to pop up most days.

So, no, I was not thrilled at the aspect of reporting the story emanating from Swarthmore and Strath Haven High School yesterday.

I thought this country had really turned a corner on race relations when we elected a black man, Barack Obama, president of the United States.

That was 2008.

Ten years later, I'm not so sure.

We continue to struggle with race, and the simple baseline of accepting people regardless of their skin pigmentation, ethnicity or religious leanings.

This week Strath Haven High was rocked by an image spread on social media that depicted two individuals in what appear to be white hoods reminiscent of the Ku Klux Klan. It was accompanied by a hateful message.

School officials seem to believe the individuals responsible might be Strath Haven High students. They are investigating, as are police.

Yesterday, students rallied outside the school to protest the hateful acts.

Me? I just sit here and wonder what world these kids live in where they thought this was a good idea.

How far have we come when it comes to race?

I don't know.

But I do know this. We still have a long way to go.

Comments