RIP to an old-school newsman

When I moved into the editor's office at the Daily Times what now seems like a lifetime ago back in 1999, I had a big decision. I had to replace myself out in the newsroom.

I didn't have to look far.

I had spent a decade as associate editor. It's the position that actually ran the newsdesk each night. Back in the days when we actually had a news desk. And copy editors. And a separate sports desk. That's another story.

The associate editor runs the ship, and is responsible for making sure the paper is signed, sealed and delivered each night. In our old office in beautiful downtown Primos, the news and sports departments were separated by a wall with a large 'window.' There was no glass, just an opening so the two departments could "communicate."

If you've ever been in a newsroom, you know they can be somewhat "colorful" places. I'm talking about the language, not the decor. Sitting on the other side of that wall most nights was one Bob Tenannt.

He was a no-nonsense, old-school editor.

You always knew exactly where you stood with Bob.

I had found my guy.

When I announced that Bob Tennant was my choice as the new associate editor, a few eyebrows were raised. Bob had spent a lifetime working in sports. I never hesitated. That's the thing about the newspaper racket. A lot of what we do every day comes from our gut. Bob Tennant had no shortage of guts.

We lost Bob yesterday.

He passed away in Florida.

When I heard the news, the memories of how this business used to be came rushing back.

One of his greatest legacies was Bob's ability to spot - and nurture - young talent.

That's something we don't do a lot of these days.

Among other things.

Bob could be a curmudgeon, but a lovable one.

That's because, like so many of us, he loved what he was doing.

He never considered doing anything else.

News was his life.

He'll be missed.

The problem with journalism these days is that eventually the people doing it are not going to be here anymore. And we are not replacing them with a new generation.

Bob Tennant was a longtime coach who molded lots of lives.

His legacy is a generation of people instilled with the kind of values Bob lived by.

We could use a lot more like him.

And we are all poorer in his absence.

RIP to an old-school newsman.

Comments