A broken heart(s) on Valentine's Day

Well, there goes Valentine's Day.

For as long as I have known her (which is longer than I care to admit), I have held to a Valentine's Day tradition with my wife. Every year I get her a card, and taped to that car is always a box of Conversation Hearts.

You know, those sugary, pastel-colored, heart-shaped concoctions stamped with the saying like, "Be Mine."

Well, not this year.

Relax, my wife and I are still together. She has not kicked me to the curb yet, although why I'm not quite sure why. No, this is more troubling than that.

This Valentine's Day will have to go on without Conversation Hearts.

It seems Necco Wafers, the company that for years made the Sweethearts Conversation Hearts for years, was bought by the Spangler Candy Company. But Spangler says it does not have enough time to make Conversation Hearts this year. They assure the Valentine's Day staple will be back on shelves next year.

Cold Comfort.

You might be able to find some Conversation Hearts out there in some stores or online, but the company warns they will not be new product, and likely stuff left over from last year.

My heart is broken. Literally.

The truth is I eat these things by the handful. I will miss them terribly. My wife? Probably not so much.

Well, there's always jewelry.

Comments