Does everybody have a cold?

I almost never get sick.

Thanks God.

So it's been a bit unnerving to be sniffling, sneezing and blowing my nose 24 hours a day for the past few days.

This started last Friday.

I sneezed just before leaving the office.

And almost immediately my throat seemed like it was on fire and my nose started running. It hasn't stopped since.v Luckily, I have lots of folks to commiserate with. Does everybody have this winter cold?

Hey, as opposed to the flu, I'll take it. Especially for someone who never gets a flu shot.

So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

But an item that flew into my email box that would normally be ejected immediately to the trash can instead caught my attention.

It was from a marketing outfit representing a group called Physicians with American Family Care, warning that the flu is wreaking havoc in 20 states.

But what really caught my attention was some everyday tips they provided to avoid being exposed to germs that can spread the flu or cold.

I'll repeat them here as a public service, unless of course you think having a voice about six octaves lower than normal (as mine currently is) is wildly sexy. I assure you my wife does not. There's something about the glop I keep heaving up that turns her off.

1. Avoid sharing pens. Whether at work or signing a credit card receipt at a store, never pick up a public pen because they’re covered with other people’s germs. Keep a pen handy for any situation that could pop up.

2. Knuckle it. When using a debit card machine, get into the habit of punching in your card pin with a knuckle instead of a fingertip. This way if you rub your eye or mouth with your fingertip, you’re not transferring germs.

A tip of my own here. My wife never opens a public door with her hand. She always uses her elbow when entering a store, Wawa, or of course, our second home at Kohl's.

3. Play it safe at the pump. Drivers must get gas for their vehicles no matter what, sick or not. Protect yourself at the pump, grab a paper towel before picking up the gas nozzle. You can also use the paper towel as a barrier when punching in your debit/credit card info.

4. Shake and Wash. People are more germ-conscious these days so avoiding a handshake is not as rude as once thought, especially during flu season. If you must do it, wash or sanitize with your hands immediately.

5. Hands off, please! You are constantly using either your phone or computer tablet to show friends and coworkers pictures or videos. This means other people are putting their germs on something you are constantly touching. Get into the habit of wiping your phone down with a disinfecting wipe to cut down on spreading germs. OR just text your friends photos and videos!

Comments