The changing nature of Eagles fans

Apparently I'm not the only Eagles fan who is mellowing.

Our lead sports columnist Jack McCaffery also has noticed.

Jack points out the reaction by Eagles fans after that heart-breaking loss to the Saints in the NFC Divisional round last weekend. Alshon Jeffery dropped a ball from Nick Foles hit him right in the hands. There was a time when that would have punched Jeffery's ticket to the Philly Sports Hall of Shame.

Instead, a weird thing happened.

We opened our hearts to Alshon.

I know I did.

This all goes back to a year ago, when the Birds finally ended out collective lifetime of misery by winning a Super Bowl. I know for me an Eagles game, and especially another playoff loss, was usually a matter of life and death.

But this year is different. We won. We had a parade.

Maybe it's the Super Bowl hangover.

Or maybe it's just growing up.

Took long enough.

I got another dose of this new reality yesterday.

I can admit that after Sean Payton and the Saints first ran up the score on the Eagles earlier in the season, then ended another miraculous comeback by Nick Foles, that I was rooting against them yesterday in the NFC title game vs the Rams.

And yes, at first, I was glad when they lost in overtime.

But I found myself feeling bad for Payton - and Saints fans - for the way they lost, on about as bad a missed call on a pass interference call and helmet-to-helmet hit that, if called correctly, would have allowed the Saints to run out the clock in regulation.

Nobody, not even Sean Payton, should lose a game - let alone the chance to go to the Super Bowl - on that kind of blown call. Then there is Andy Reid.

Still dealing with the ghosts of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

Maybe next year, Andy.

A compassionate, empathetic Eagles fan?

How times have changed

Comments