The Magic of the Cherry Coke

I come today to pay homage to my overnight pal.

Every morning as I drive into the office I am entertained by my radio buddy.

That would be Big Daddy Graham, who mans the overnight shift on WIP Sports Radio. I usually catch the last segment of the show in the time it usually takes me to drive into the office.

One of the things Graham does each morning is a quick rundown of who was born on this date and some important - and quirky - things that have happened on this date.

Full confession here: I sometimes steal some of these items for my daily "Today's Upper" items that I post on Twitter and Facebook.

But this morning he mentioned an item that hit home.

It was on this date, Jan. 25, in 1870, that a patent was issued for what would become the modern soda fountain.

Now I happen to know a little something about soda fountains, and the incredible concoctions that come from them.

When I was a kid, my father ran a soda shop/luncheonette in North East, Md. He eventually would add one in the little town where we lived, Oxford, Pa., out in the farthest reaches of Chester County.

Each one of my siblings would accompany my father to his store in North East, where we would intern, then be turned loose on the store in Oxford.

Heron's was right down the street from the Oxford High, and became a natural hangout and gathering place.

Think of Arnold's or Al's, only without the drive-in.

I can't tell you how many different frothy concoctions you could whip up behind one of those gleaming chrome counters. Nothing quite tastes like a fountain Coke. Unless, of course it was a Cherry Coke. Or a Lemon Coke. Yes, I even made Chocolate Cokes.

In North East, my father actually was credited with inventing entirely new drink. It was called the Pink Mountain and was made with cherry syrup, milk and just a dash of soda water. Dad whipped it up to appeal to kids under the common belief back then that soda led to the angst of every teenager - pimples. Yes, zits.

A couple of years ago, I was asked by the Oxford Historical Association to give a talk about Heron's. I called it The Magic of the Cherry Coke. I was not sure anyone would show up. The place was packed.

They don't make places like Heron's anymore. For lots of reasons.

You really don't see soda fountains like the one in this picture. This was Heron's store in Oxford.

It was a different time, and a different place.

But I'm telling you, there was magic in those Cherry Cokes.

Somewhere, I hope there still is.

Comments