The Rusty Rudder is turning 40?

Every morning one of the very first things I do is make a quick scan of about 20 websites from news sites around the region. It allows me to quickly get caught up on what has happened since I lapsed into a coma the night before. And just in case my does of KYW Newsradio on the drive in missed anything.

Every morning I usually wind up wincing at something I see on this quick perusal, something that kind of stabs at my heart, reminding me of just how long I have been doing this, as well as a long-ago memory.

It happened again yesterday morning, when I came upon an item that proclaimed that the Rusty Rudder in Dewey Beach, Del., is preparing to celebrate its 40th anniversary this summer?

40? The Rusty Rudder? Really?

It's hard to believe, I know.

How long have I been going to the Rehoboth Beach area every summer? This long: I was going there before there was any such thing as the Rusty Rudder, with its wonderful views of the tranquil bay.

Geez, if the Rusty Rudder is turning 40, then how old does that make Bottle & Cork. And yes, I spent more than a few nights in that legendary Dewey nightspot before I was legally supposed to be in there.

I would put Bottle & Cork up there with the late, great Stone Balloon in Newark, Del., as perhaps two of the world's great rock bars.

I have to admit these days I'm one of those who would just as soon leave Dewey for the kids. Yes, it's a bit on the rowdy side for my tastes these days.

Hell, I'm still mourning the loss of Chicken Ed's. And if you have to ask what's Chicken Ed's you really don't know the Dewey-Rehoboth area.

Comments