The story of DOINK!

I don't watch Eagles games the way most people do.

At least not big games, and I think you certainly can include the ending of yesterday's bizarre Wild Card victory over the Chicago Bears as among the most heart-stopping, nail-biting wins in Birds' history.

I've been watching this team now for more than five decades.

Lived through the Marion Campbell and Ed Khayat years.

Was enthralled - at least for awhile - by Buddy Ryan.

And waited, and waited, for Andy Reid to finally win a big game.

But I haven't seen anything quite like what happened to the Eagles yesterday in Soldier Field.

And they have a former Eagles to thank for it.

Cody Parkey, a one-time Birds kicker, was not satisfied with clanging his potential game-winning field goal off the upright, something he had already done five times this year with the Bears.

After hitting the upright, the ball fluttered down and bounced off the crossbar - and then out, not in.

Thus the Eagles won and advance to play the Saints next Sunday in the divisional round.

But while most fans are dancing in ecstasy, the tumblers in my mind are working a different way.

I'm thinking of this morning's front page.

All I could think of after Parkey's monstrous miss was a single word.

And I wanted it to appear as big as I could make it on today's front page.

DOINK!

Birds win.

Life is good.

Comments