Tying one to ring in 2019

It's funny the things you see when staring in the mirror in the pre-dawn darkness.

Take this tie, for example.

First, a confession. Yeah, another one.

I'm a bit of a hoarder.

OK, I'm just cheap.

But as I was getting dressed this morning I looked into the mirror and realized that this tie is worn, right at the spot where the knot forms.

It's probably been that way for years. I just haven't noticed.

But for some reason it just leaped out at me today.

I probably should just toss it.

It's not like I don't have a million other ties.

I wear a tie to work every day.

Yes, every day.

I realize this makes me a bid of an oddity in these "Casual Friday," open collar work environments.

If you see me in the office on a workday without a tie on, call 911. I've probably suffered a massive heart attack and someone took off my tie in an attempt to resuscitate me.

I guess I'm old-fashioned in that way. For more proof of that, see today's editorial, but then that's another blog item altogether.

I had to smile as I looked in the mirror and saw the worn threads of my neckwear staring back at me.

It was a not-so-subtle reminder that we have indeed turned the calendar on another year, and time marches inexorably on.

You see I bought this tie when I first got out of college, got my first job and entered the "real" world. Don't ask me how long ago that was.

It remains one my my favorites. I have several just like it, a yellow background with a blue geometric design on it. My kids even have a name for them. They call them my "doodad" ties. I don't know what a "doodad" is, but I guess it's as good a description of these designs as anything else.

2019? Who'd a thunk it?

Comments