We all need to be better than Tlaib's comment

For those who have been gleefully pointing it out, I am no fan of the language used recently by newly elected Congresswoman Rep. Rashida Tlaib.

Tlaib, D-Mich., made headlines after being sworn into office as part of the Blue Wave that flipped the House, took advantage of her newfound status to tell her supporters this about President Donald Trump:

"We going to impeach the motherfu**er." You can fill in the blanks.

This will be short and to the point.

Tlaib's comments were ill-conceived and just plain wrong.

Yes, I understand all about the fact that this is what she campaigned on, and was in a way simply delivering on her promise.

I have no problem with her intent.

It's her vulgar language where I draw the line.

Look, I am no prude. I work every day in a newsroom. I am known to have the mouth of a sailor.

But I also know there is a time and place for these things.

And there is context.

Simply put, this was not the place for Tlaib to make such incendiary comments.

As you might expect, her expletive drew serious heat from Republicans, and even some Democrats.

Perhaps not enough.

After all, I have spent the better part of two years complaining about what I refer to as the "Trump Effect," the increasing coarseness of our national political conversation.

Much of the reaction of those rallying to Tlaib's side and trying to defend her speech have pointed to the things President Trump has done.

That does not make it right.

That just puts you on his level.

I thought that was one of the reasons for the emphatic statement voters made at the polls last November.

Not to endorse the kind of statement Tlaib made on being sworn in to high office.

She needs to be better.

We all do.

Comments