Can someone explain the Markelle Fultz story to me?

Someday, maybe someone can explain the Markelle Fultz saga to me.

It's not so much that he was the Sixers' top draft pick.

It's not that he was first-round draft pick.

Markelle Fultz was the No. 1 pick in the entire NBA Draft, the first player taken off the board.

And the Sixers moved up to get him.

How could all the experts be this wrong about a player.

Fultz played 35 games for the Sixers.

Somewhere along the line, amid a slew of mysterious injuries, Fultz forgot how to play basketball, in particular how to shoot the ball.

I will never forget my short-lived high school basketball career. I considered myself a pretty good hoops player.

But on the first day of tryouts, the coach told me I would have to change my shot. He wanted me to jump, then wait until I got to the top of my leap before shooting the ball. I used to have a pretty good stroke, but I always basically shot the ball on my way up. This coach didn't want any part of that. My game was never the same. I lost my confidence, and my game quickly followed. But that's a high school kid who likely was not all that good to begin with.

Certainly not an accomplished college player.

Certainly not an elite player considered the best available going into the draft.

And certainly not the VERY FIRST player taken in the NBA Draft.

How does this happen?

Comments