Hang on to your hat

Hang onto your hat.

And just about everything else as well.

High winds - with gusts up to 60 mph - are whipping across the area, knocking out power and leaving roads littered with debris.

In Upper Providence, high winds brought down a large tree that sliced right through the roof of a home on North Orange Street. The family inside was able to escape without injury.

Expect a wild ride on your morning commute. Navigating the roads is a bit like doing a slalom course as you try to avoid the tree limbs and debris littering the roads.

I talk all the time about how I loathe technology, but there is absolutely one thing that I love about it.

The truth is that we actually no longer have to be physically in the office to do this job. I can put the entire paper out and monitor and update our web site from my kitchen table.

There are only two things that are musts: Power and access to the internet.

Last night I lost both. Luckily, I had just about everything wrapped up before we lost power. I was able to go for awhile on the battery on my laptop and my Verizon stick that got me online, but I shut down when the batter on the laptop was about to expire.

I was just about ready to head into the office when the power came back on.

There is a very strange - even odd - sense of calm when you are sitting in a pitch black house.

I guess this is kind of what it's like to be Amish.

Of course our Amish friends probably do not have their still life interrupted by neighbors firing up their generators.

We are going to be dealing with these high winds all day. Get the full forecast here.

Comments