Oxford, Pa.'s famous connection with the Phillies

With the Phillies entire squad (where are you, Bryce Harper?) expected for the first workout of spring training today in Clearwater, I continue to have warm weather and baseball on my mind.

In my Monday print Letter from the Editor today, I expand on an item I wrote last night about Connie Mack Stadium.

In it I note a very famous connection of my hometown of Oxford, Pa., with the Phils.

No, not that it produced a newspaper editor named Phil.

Anyone care to guess what it was?

Here's a hint: His name is John Ogden.

Still doesn't ring any bells?

Ironically, Ogden was originally from Delaware County. The neighborhood of Ogden, which is now Upper Chichester, was named for his family, which farmed the area for generations.

Ogden was a three-sport star at Chester High and played baseball at Swarthmore College. He pitched in the major leagues for both the St. Louis Browns and Cardinals.

But his fame in Philly does not come from anything he did on the field.

Here's another hint? Wampum, Pa.

The answer is a ways down in my column.

Comments

JohnJones said…
Thank you for taking me down memory lane. Born in 1950 I two have great memories of Connie Mack Stadium. Darby Little League took a bus load of players , in our uniforms , to a game against the Dodgers. Sandy Koufax pitching. Koufax walks Rickie Allen but still pitches s no hitter. Remember Wes Covington hitting toweling singles off our own green monester in right field. Johnny Callison my favorite player, still should have been MVP of 64.