So far as storms go, this was about what was expected, but it wasn't a major storm

I come today to praise brine.

If you were to ask me the biggest difference between snow storms today and those of a few years back, I would say it's the move by PennDOT to treat main roads with brine before the storm arrives.

It certainly seems to be the key in keeping roads for the most part wet or slushy, instead of being covered immediately.

If Wednesday's storm is the best Mother Nature can throw at us this winter, I'll take it.

The storm performed pretty much as expected, arriving mid-morning, quickly dumping a few inches of snow and then changing over to rain.

This morning the biggest issue I had was chipping some of the glaze and ice off my car.

Here are the snow totals across Delco, according to National Weather Service: Chadds Ford - 3.9 inches; Morton - 3.5; Clifton Heights - 3.5; Thornton - 3.4; Drexel Hill -3.0; Norwood - 2.6; Villanova - 2.4; Aston - 2.0.

Most schools and government offices around the region closed.

The timing was dicy because of the timing, with the snow arriving after the morning commute, meaning if you ventured into the office you were then confronted with when to attempt the ride home.

Finally, he is my overall thought.

This was not a major storm. Yes, the TV stations gave us breathless, minute-by-minute coverage with people for the most part standing next to some slushy roads.

But I continue to wonder about the economic impact of the focus we place on these storms.

I checked the calendar. It's still February. And that means it still snow. I'm just now sure that a couple of inches of snow warrants bringing the region to a standstill.

My new hero is Channel 6 weather guy Chris Sowers. He was on Twitter earlier this week with a prediction that Wednesday's storm could be the last huff from winter.

Actually, the forecast is calling for a chance to hit 60 degrees on Sunday.

Sowers tempered his prediction by noting that he does not consider 40 degrees especially cold, and there is always a chance for a snow storm in March.

But he does not see anything in the immediate future.

Come on, Spring!

Comments