Breaking News! The roads are wet

We have BREAKING NEWS!

The roads are wet.

Huh?

Yep. Close the schools. Shut down business. Bring the region to a screeching halt.

Because the roads are wet.

I started to have my doubts about this latest storm right after it started as a very light mix of snow and rain Sunday afternoon. It was too warm. And thus to wet.

I didn't think this was going to amount to a major storm.

I was right.

That's the thing about March snow. The ground temperature usually has warmed up enough so that the snow doesn't stick.

At least on the roads. Especially when they are treated with brine.

Yes, the ground quickly was covered. But the streets hung in there pretty well.

Your biggest task this morning will be cleaning off your car and shoveling out the driveway. Once you're out on the roads, you should not have a problem. The main roads are wet. Even the side roads are for the most part just slushy.

I could go on a rant now about local forecasts. How they attempt to scare the hell out of us at even the slightest hint of snow. Schools close or go to 2-hour delays. Archdiocesan schools in Philadelphia (the city, not the suburbs) are closed today, thought for the life of me I do not understand why.

We are told again and again, "If you don't have to go out, don't." Always wondered how restaurant owners feel about that kind of advice. I happen to believe all this snow-scare nonsense has a huge economic effect.

But of course this morning we will be regaled with joking TV anchors and reporters sticking rulers in a couple inches of snow. I tire of it.

I tire of winter.

I tire of March.

Can't we just fast-forward to Memorial Day?

Comments