Homeric! A special St. Paddy's day rite

It's the Ides of March.

It was on this date in 44 B.C. that Julius Caesar was done in - by his own pals in the Roman Senate. They took turns stabbing him. Even his buddy, Brutus, which led to the immortal line from the dying Caesar: "Et Tu, Brute?"

All I know is that March 15 means it is two days away from St. Paddy's Day.

And for me that means a very special tradition.

I will sit down this weekend and watch one of my very favorite movies.

Which one?

Here's a hint.

"Homeric."

Don't know it? Shame on you if you call yourself a descendant of the Emerald Isle.

That line could only come from "The Quiet Man."

That also happens to be the line we used to describe my father.

Yes, he was a man of few words.

Ironically, some say that attribute was passed down to his youngest son, a man who deals with words all day long.

Yes, I am fairly prolific in front of the keyboard.

Conversation? Uh, not so much.

Green beer? I don't think so.

Some silly plastic green hat? Not me.

On Sunday I will don my father's tie, the one handed down to him from his father, the one that came with him from the old country, and I will watch my favorite movie.

"Well it's a nice, soft night, so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason. G'night, Sean.

I didn't have Barry Fitzgerald in mind when I named my son Sean. His middle name is Duffy, which happens to be my mother's mother's maiden name. My very Italian wife swallowed hard and accepted the name I selected for our son.

Never underestimate the power of family.v Happy St. Paddy's Day, dad.

Or should I say Quiet Man.

Comments