Let's debate the need to charge for online content.

Why did I know what would be the very first series of comments posted on my blog item on why we are charging people to view content online.

I expanded on the theme in today's Letter From the Editor.

The first volley of comments did not take aim at our policy of putting most of our content behind a paywall.

They did not criticize us for posting links on Facebook, and then denying the ability to read the story.

They did not point out all the places they can go to get information for free online.

No, they instead reserved their scorn for a sentence far down in the column.

It was the editor's contention that content isn't free.

Then I followed up with this line:

"Especially good, unbiased, fact-based content."

That set off the furor of my legions of fans who confront me every day with their belief that the newspaper - under the hand of this editor - unabashedly leans left and uses every opportunity to bash President Trump and Republicans in general, either here in Delaware County or on the national stage.

One reader asked if I managed to write that with a straight face.

No, I don't agree with them.

Yes, I absolutely defend their right to say it, to proclaim their beliefs to anyone who will listen.

Yes, even if they do so anonymously, taking cover under their social media avatars.

That is something else the newspaper does. We serve as something of a marketplace of ideas. ALL ideas. Not just mine. Not just those that are politically correct. Not just those I agree with.

Just ask Christine Flowers or Chris Freind. I routinely disagree with the stances they take in their columns. That does not mean I don't print them. To do so would start a very precarious trip down a very slippery slope.

So, yes, by all means, let's debate the need to pay for content.

And while I'm at it, let me offer one more suggestion.

To those who feel the need to do so, I would ask only that you debate the topic civilly. There's more than enough ugliness in the world without adding to it.

And just in case you were wondering. No, we really don't appreciate it when someone copies and pastes the entire text of a story on social media.

Comments