An interesting drive into the office

I hope this was not a sign of the way this day is going to go.

My ride into the office usually is fairly uneventful. It's one of the very few good things I can say about getting up at the hour I do - I usually have the road pretty much to myself.

Usually.

v But not today.

I got a glimpse of what was ahead not far from the house when - and you don't really want to know what time - I encountered the first oddity. My biggest hurdle at this hour is dodging the deer that seem to taunt me by darting out in front of me along the way.

This was not a four-legged critter.

This one had two legs. And four wheels.

Yes, it was a man on a bike. Not a kid. This was a grown man.

I first noticed the reflective tape on his jacket off in the distance. Good thing, too. First he moved over to the left lane when he realized I was coming up behind him. Then he noticed a car coming in the other direction, so he decided to move back over to the right lane.

It's a good thing I was not in my usual automatic pilot mode, because he decided - probably rightly - that he was entitled to as much of the road as I was.

I got around him without incident.

The next object I hit was on Route 352. I was approaching a side road when I noticed the lights. Only this guy did not seem to be slowing down for the stop sign. At the last second he careened to a halt, dangerously close to coming out into the intersection - right into my path.

He came roaring out behind me and proceeded to sit right on my bumper.

I'm not sure where he was going, but he was in a damn big hurry to get there.

As soon as he got the opportunity, he roared out into the left lane and blew by me - oblivious to the double-yellow line on the road forbidding passing.

He wasn't done.

I saw him approaching that new light at Valley Road. I also saw it was red. This guy never touched his brakes, blowing right through it. I'm just glad no one was coming in the other direction.

Thankfully, the rest of the drive was fairly uneventful.

As it should be at the time of the morning.

Comments