It's one of those words you just can't say

I refer to it as the "third rail."

There are some words you just can't use. Doing so is an invitation to problems.

After four decades in the newspaper racket, I can attest to what happens when you ignore that advice.

If she was not aware of that before, I can assure you freshman state Rep. Danielle Friel Otten is now.

The Democrat who was swept into office in that Blue Wave last November, made a big part of her campaign her concerns about the Mariner East pipeline project.

She lives in a neighborhood affected by Mariner East.

There was a protest in her neighborhood in which some activists blocked access to a construction site.

Eventually, Rep. Friel Otten got into an exchange with some pro-pipeline energy industry folks on Twitter. They said they were preventing the workers from doing their jobs and suggested not blaming the workers, who were just trying to do their jobs.

That's when Friel Otten reached out and grabbed the 'third rail.'

She Tweeted something to the effect of "the Nazis were just doing their jobs, too."

Yeah, you can guess what happened next.

I talk about it in today's Letter From the Editor.

What I did not write about is that I did not use the headline I wanted to on that item. I happen to think it's the perfect headline, but to be honest it's the kind of aggravation I don't need.

I decided not to go there.

I'm thinking Rep. Friel Otten might feel the same way.

So what was the headline? Ask me sometime and I will tell you.

Comments