Remembering a special man on a special night

Last night was one of the best nights of the year.

But something was missing.

It was the annual Partners in Education Celebration gala at the Drexelbrook, where the Daily Times teams with Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union and the Delaware County Intermediate Unit to hand out the All-Delco Hi-Q team selections, as well as this year Excellence in Teaching winners.

We featured both groups earlier this week, with cover stories and photos of each winner in Sunday and Monday's editions.

We have teamed up on these awards since 2014.

I have made the gala every year but last year, when I had another event I was already committed to.

Ironically, that was first gala without my friend John Unangst.

John was the longtime head of Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union whose vision led to the Partners in Education Celebration, as well as the All-Delco Hi-Q team.

John was looking for a way to pump new life into Hi-Q, the nation's oldest scholastic quiz competition. He had an idea of holding a banquet at the end of the season to celebrate.

John was thinking big. How big? The first year he got 'Jeopardy' host Alex Trebek to host the event.

I will forever be grateful for the day when John and IU boss Harry Jamison asked if they could stop by the office. They said they had an idea they wanted to pitch to me.

John said he had always been impressed with our All-Delco teams, the teams we select at the conclusion of every high school sports competition.

He was wondering if we would consider adding that All-Delco imprimatur to an All-Delco Hi-Q team.

I almost jumped into his lap.

It had always been my goal to honor kids who excel in the classroom, giving them the same accolades that high school athletes routine receive.

The result? Each year for the past 15 years, we have featured the All-Delco Hi-Q team.

A few years later, John added the Excellence in Teaching awards.

As always, it was an "excellent" night.

Believe me when I tell you it's a rarity for someone who does what I do for a living to sit in a room with more than 500 people, almost all of whom are saying nice things about the newspaper.

Your vision continues, John.

Thanks, my friend.

Comments