Talkin' sexy: Want to get some 'wooder' ice?

Somewhere my father must be smiling broadly.

The native of Southwest Philly and proud graduate St. Clement's School was one of those wise people who knew that the there were three syllables in the name of the popular supermarket.

That's right, dad always shopped at the Ac-a-me.

And he knew that there also were three distinct syllables in that section of the city known as Ol-a-ney.

He passed some of that along to his youngest son.

I can't tell you how many people, back when I lived in Colorado, questioned me about the way I pronounced water. Of course, we all know it's pronounced 'wooder.'

Now, that distinct, often-ridiculed Philly dialect is finally getting some props.

A travel website says it's one of the sexiest regional accents in the U.S.

In fact, the site, an international media company called “Big 7 Travel,” ranks Philly as No. 8 of the “Top 50 USA Sexiest Accents.”

Who knew?

You can read the entire list here.

So who came in first? That honor goes to Texas.

Yeah, but I bet they don't go out for 'wooder' ice there.

Comments